Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Yippee-Ki-yay folks! Here is another gritty, thought-provoking poem that I believe we can all relate to.

It may interest many of us to know that, here at Takapuna, we have a "hospital wing" in our library. I kid you not. My poem for this week details with this and hopefully ends with the possibility that many of our "patients" can be rehabilitated back into circulation.

This poem is entitled "The Mending Bin."

"In our library there's a spot that is filled to overflowing
The problem's not abating, its expanding and a-growin'
A tidal wave of books that is seeming never ending
Head in one direction to a bin that we call "mending."

These books they bear the scars of mistreatment and abuse
I'm sorry folks, but really, there is simply no excuse
On every page there's found heroic tales of derring-do
How can people be so thoughtless as to treat worse than poo?

Sure, we can accept that some books they do get old
But to mutilate with scissors or leave them to grow mould?
We all must stand aghast at broken spines and coffeee stains
They look so sad and forlorn, I can really feel their pain

The survival rate is good if torn pages, mindless scribble
Chances getting slimmer with chewed covers, sticky dribble
Just as well we have a team that's good with sellotape
Who lovingly repair our books and nurse them back to shape

So once again our books are sent out to everywhere
Like you, I would like to see the mending bin quite bare
The question is; are people really up to do the task?
And treat our books with love and care or is that to hard an ask?

2 comments:

Zipperty-doo-dah said...

I think you've written this poem to try and draw away from the damage to the book you took out. It's all very well trying to pretend that someone else vandalised this book but those of us who know are convinced it was you! Actually this photo wins the prize for the most damaged book:)

said in a loving way...

SoAndSo said...

Gritty, indeed. My eyes are abraded, my thoughts provoked. Is that a dagger that I see before me?